Quick studies with students...





In watercolor class I try to transmit the habit of doing faster studies of objects or simple still lives.
It would be lovely if we managed to do quick studies before starting painting something more "serious", this would be a warm up exercise to get up speed and to get into the creative mode.
For now this is taking far too long and we spend the whole session on this.
Hopefully I'll be able to make them persevere and they'll get pleasure out of this loose and improvised way of painting, and maybe it will feel natural with practice.
It's a great way to chase fear when painting with watercolor. Most of my students are afraid of doing mistakes, with smaller paintings it's not a big deal if we are not happy with the result and this way the pressure decreases.
It could be a daily routine doing one of these a day... : )

Comments

  1. My students have the same fear, so it is always too long when it could take only ten minuts...
    I am always fond of your little studies, Helen. Always a great pleasure to come on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make a water bottle a thing of beauty! Your students will get over their fear - but it sure takes a lot of time to loosen up and let the paint do what it does best without so much time and fiddling! If they keep seeing you do it, they should get the idea that it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, thank you for sharing your experience with me. You are right, it could be fast,... but it can also take so incredible long to paint one object. I think I won in speed and courage with myself thanks to all the exercises I've done with short poses when drawing human figures. The only solution is forcing oneself to go faster and faster, and not be afraid to start over. Also not to paint for the result, but for the pleasure of painting, and the discoveries we do then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you RH for your words. "Fiddling" is the great enemy, just as fear!! he he
    We'll see, my students do a lot of progress but some things are hard to change. I notice that and the less they think the better. "Stop thinking just do it" I say... even if I know some thinking is good before,.. and after. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment